Financial Aid Counselor
The Financial Aid Counselor reports to the administrative team which consists of the Director, Associate Director, and Assistant Directors of Financial Aid. This position incorporates the full range of financial aid responsibilities; including assisting graduate level students in the application process, resolving eligibility issues, packaging loans and/or scholarships and providing information on loan repayment. The counselor works on an individual basis with students to provide information in an accurate, timely, professional and courteous manner. The Financial Aid Counselor possesses a compassionate and respectful understanding of financially related issues and is sensitive to the level of stress students may experience from these issues. Each counselor is assigned to work with approximately 800 active students in addition to prospective students.
- Counsels students and assists students in understanding federal and/or private loan processes and limits.
- Counsels students on budgeting issues and financial obligations to the University and their lenders.
- Communicates with students and monitor the status of their application process and subsequent disbursement.
- Determines and verifies eligibility for federal loans.
- Packages loan and scholarship awards.
- Evaluates unusual circumstance documentation or information provided by the student to determine additional eligibility.
- Attends training seminars and maintains knowledge of the financial aid regulations and rules.
- Supports all day to day operations of the financial aid office.
- Certify Private loan eligibility.
- Provide administrative support along with other tasks as assigned.
- Provide students with debt management information and financial literacy.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, counseling, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Manage large volume of materials efficiently and apply complex guidelines accurately.
- Demonstrated quantitative skills.
Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
Problem identification and critical thinking skills.
Committed to a high level of quality customer service.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of financial aid experience required.
- Proficient in Excel, and familiar with Office 365, Banner, NSLDS and COD.
University Support Services LLC is a Delaware limited liability company located in New York providing services under contract to St. George’s University Limited, a Grenada corporation and the owner and operator of St. George’s University, which includes the St. George’s University School of Medicine and the St. George’s University School of Veterinary Medicine.
About St. George’s University
St. George’s University is a top center of international education, drawing students and faculty from 140 countries to the Caribbean island of Grenada, in the West Indies. With more than 17,000 graduates across the world, the University offers medical and veterinary medical degrees, as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees.
USS is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is company policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of race, color, sex (including sexual orientation and gender presentation), age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, pregnancy, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, disability, status in the Uniformed Services of the United States (including veteran status) or status as a victim of domestic violence, except where there is a bona fide occupational qualification. This policy protects applicants and employees from discrimination in the hiring process.