SOM - FT Instructor Medical Illustrator/Animator
St. George’s University invites applicants for a full-time teaching position in the Department of Anatomical Sciences beginning 9/2/2019.
We are looking for a highly motivated and capable medical illustrator with an aptitude for motion graphics design and animation to join us on-site at St. George's University School of Medicine (SGU-SOM) on the island of Grenada in the Caribbean. As appointed faculty, there will be some potential teaching opportunities. However this is primarily a production art position in the Center for BioMedical Visualization, which is a new and growing team within the Anatomical Sciences Department. Seize this rare opportunity to thrive in a great work environment that is safely rooted on a beautiful tropical island and surrounded by a supportive international community.
Our ideal candidate will possess a strong work ethic and will be proficient in motion graphics, animation and video/audio editing. We would also like to see an established range of professional illustration techniques in your portfolio. We prefer candidates with experience in scientific or medical education, however, other industry experience will be considered if applicable.
Our chosen teammate will collaborate directly with faculty, content experts, other medical illustrators and animators to design innovative learning modules for medical educational material, including lectures, online content, ebooks, interactives and in other areas required for academic support and medical education. There will also be the potential opportunity to teach anatomy to medical students using prosected cadavers in the gross anatomy wet lab.
You will specifically:
- Be accountable to the Dean of Basic Sciences for delivering medical illustrations and animations using a variety of technical and creative skills
- Create still illustrations for use in research posters and journal publications
- Design and animate biomedical content for use in lectures, labs and directed learning activities using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects
- Perform audio, video editing and other post-production tasks
- Deliver animations and other motion graphics productions on time and in requested formats
- Influence the future of medical education
- MFA, MS, MA, or MSc degree in Biomedical Visualization, Medical Illustration, Scientific Illustration or equivalent degree will be considered such as a Masters in Motion Graphics Design, Interactive Media Design
- Portfolio must prove strong motion graphics skills (graphic design, animation principles, kinetic typography, audio and video editing)
- 3 - 5 years professional experience preferred
- Proficiency in Adobe AfterEffects required
- Experience with other Adobe Creative Cloud software desired (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, et cetera)
- 3D software experience is a plus (Cinema 4D, ZBrush, Maya, 3DS Max, or Unity).
- Able to distill large amounts of educational course content into short motion graphic productions
- Able to work independently but harbors the desire and capability to collaborate
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse group of medical students, educators and other adult learners
- Able to meet short deadlines and manage multiple projects at once
- Adventurous, flexible and adaptable to a foreign culture on a small tropical island.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- To ensure full consideration, complete application materials including CV, Cover Letter, contact information for three (3) references and link to online portfolio should be submitted.
- Salary is competitive and paid in US dollars.
- Review of applicants will be ongoing until the position is filled.
St. George’s University is a truly international recognized institution located in the English-speaking Caribbean island of Grenada, attracting students from over 80 nations. It boasts a new, rapidly developing and expanding campus, designed to meet the needs of modern innovative instruction. The University includes internationally recognized Schools of Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Arts and Sciences, and a Graduate Studies Program. The School offers a unique opportunity to work in a stimulating multicultural environment (http://www.sgu.edu/life-at-sgu/index.html). Alongside a dedicated faculty and highly motivated student body, St. George’s University emphasizes the highest standards of teaching, while encouraging research and hosting the Windward Island Research Foundation (WINDREF) on campus.