SOM - FT Instructor - Medical Illustrator/Videography
St. George’s University invites applicants for a full-time position in the Department of Anatomical Sciences beginning 12/31/2019.
We are looking for a highly motivated and capable medical illustrator with an aptitude for videography and post-production to join us on-site at St. George's University School of Medicine (SGU-SOM) on the island of Grenada in the Caribbean. As appointed faculty, there will be some potential teaching opportunities. However this is primarily a production art position in the Center for Bio-Medical Visualization, which is a new and growing team within the Anatomical Sciences Department. Seize this rare opportunity to thrive in a great work environment that is safely rooted on a beautiful tropical island and surrounded by a supportive international community.
Our ideal candidate will possess a strong work ethic and will be proficient in videography and video/audio editing. We prefer candidates with experience in scientific or medical education, however, other industry experience will be considered if applicable.
Our chosen teammate will collaborate directly with faculty, content experts, medical illustrators and animators to design innovative learning modules for medical educational material, including lectures, online content, e-books, interactives and in other areas required for academic support and medical education. There will also be the potential opportunity to teach anatomy to medical students using prosected cadavers in the gross anatomy wet lab.
You will specifically:
- Be accountable to the Dean of Basic Sciences for producing audiovisual content for the School of Medicine using a variety of technical and creative skills.
- Produce still images for use in research posters and journal publications for faculty.
- Be responsible for production of videography and other audiovisual content for use in marketing, lectures, labs and directed learning activities.
- Perform post-production duties including audio and video editing tasks.
- Perform routine video and audio equipment maintenance.
- Deliver productions on time and in requested formats.
- Influence the future of medical education.
- MFA, MS, MA, or MSc degree in Biomedical Visualization, Medical Illustration, Scientific Illustration or equivalent degree will be considered such as a Masters in Film, Video Production, or Clinical Videography.
- Portfolio must prove strong videography skills (ability to manipulate cameras, lighting and microphones for professional quality).
- 3 - 5 years professional experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere required.
- Experience with other Adobe Creative Cloud software desired (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Audition, et cetera).
- 3D software experience is a plus (Cinema 4D, ZBrush, Maya, 3DS Max, or Unity).
- Able to distill large amounts of educational course content into short video productions.
- Able to work independently but harbors the desire and capability to collaborate.
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse group of medical students, educators and other adult learners.
- Able to meet short deadlines and manage multiple projects at once.
- Adventurous, flexible and adaptable to a foreign culture on a small tropical island.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- To ensure full consideration, complete application materials including CV, Cover Letter, contact information for three (3) references and link to online portfolio should be submitted .
- Salary is competitive and paid in US dollars.
- Review of applicants will be ongoing until the position is filled.
St. George’s University is a truly international recognized institution located in the English-speaking Caribbean island of Grenada, attracting students from over 80 nations. It boasts a new, rapidly developing and expanding campus, designed to meet the needs of modern innovative instruction. The University includes internationally recognized Schools of Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Arts and Sciences, and a Graduate Studies Program. The School offers a unique opportunity to work in a stimulating multicultural environment (http://www.sgu.edu/life-at-sgu/index.html). Alongside a dedicated faculty and highly motivated student body, St. George’s University emphasizes the highest standards of teaching, while encouraging research and hosting the Windward Island Research Foundation (WINDREF) on campus.